Your garage door lock may be old and outdated, or it may have been damaged in a recent burglary attempt.
A broken or outdated garage door lock can leave your home vulnerable to burglars. If you’re not sure whether or not it’s time to replace your garage door lock, check out our list of 12 signs that it’s time for a replacement.
Replacing your garage door lock is an important step in keeping your home safe and secure. Our guide walks you through the process of removing the existing lock and installing a new one.
If you’re not sure whether your garage door lock needs to be replaced, here are 12 signs to look out for:
1. The garage door lock is damaged- If the garage door lock is visibly damaged, it’s time to replace it.
2. The garage door lock is rusty- If the garage door lock is starting to rust, it’s not going to be as effective at keeping your garage secure.
3. The garage door lock is sticking- If the garage door lock is sticking or hard to turn, it’s time for a new one.
4. The garage door lock is loose- A loose garage door lock is an easy target for burglars.
5. You’ve lost your keys- If you’ve lost your keys or had them stolen, you’ll need to replace the locks.
6. You’ve moved into a new home- When you move into a new home, it’s always a good idea to change the locks.
7. You want to upgrade your security- If you’re looking to upgrade your garage door security, replacing the lock is a good place to start.
8. The garage door lock is old- Over time, locks can wear out and become less effective. If your garage door lock is more than 10 years old, it’s time for a new one.
9. You can’t find replacement parts- If you need to replace a part of your garage door lock but can’t find the right size or type of replacement part, it’s probably time to replace the entire lock.
10. The garage door lock is hard to use- If the garage door lock is difficult to use, it’s time for a new one.
11. The garage door lock isn’t working- If the garage door lock isn’t working properly, it needs to be replaced.
12. You don’t know the combination- If you’ve forgotten the combination to your garage door lock, you’ll need to replace it.
If any of these apply to you, it’s time to replace the garage door lock. Replacing the garage door lock is a simple process that only takes a few minutes.
To remove the old garage door lock:
1. Start by removing the screws that hold the garage door lock in place.
2. Once the screws are removed, lift the garage door lockout of the track.
3. If there is a keyed cylinder in the garage door lock, unscrew it and remove it from the lock.
4. If there is a garage door opener release handle, unscrew it, and remove it from the garage door.
5. With the old garage door lock removed, you’re now ready to install the new one.
To install the new garage door lock:
1. Start by sliding the new garage door lock into the track. Make sure that the lock is positioned in the middle of the track so that it can’t be forced open from either side.
2. If there is a keyed cylinder, screw it into place.
3. If there is a garage door opener release handle, screw it into place.
4. Use the screws that came with the new garage door lock to secure it in place.
5. Test the garage door lock to make sure that it’s working properly.
Replacing your garage door lock is a simple and effective way to improve the security of your home. By following our guide, you can replace the garage door lock yourself in just a few minutes.
Benefits of a new garage door lock:
1. You’ll be the only one with a key – When you get a new garage door lock, you will be the only one with a key. This means that you won’t have to worry about someone else having a copy of your key and being able to get into your garage.
2. Increased security – A new garage door lock will also increase the security of your garage. This is because it will be more difficult for burglars to pick the lock or break into the garage.
3. Peace of mind – knowing that your garage is well secured can give you peace of mind. This is especially important if you store valuable items in your garage.
4. Deter criminals – Having a new, secure garage door lock can also deter criminals from even attempting to break into your garage. If they know that it will be difficult to get past the lock, they may not even bother trying.
5. Can improve the appearance of your garage – A new garage door lock can actually improve the appearance of your garage. This is because it will add a new level of security and make your garage look more polished and put together.
6. Inexpensive – Garage door locks are generally very inexpensive. This means that they are a great way to increase the security of your garage without spending a lot of money.
7. Can be used with any garage door opener – Many garage door locks can be used with any garage door opener. This means that you don’t have to buy a new garage door opener just to use a new lock.
8. Give you a sense of accomplishment – Finally, installing a new garage door lock can give you a sense of accomplishment. It can be satisfying to know that you’ve improved the security of your home and made it safer for your family.
Common Types of Garage Door Lock Mechanisms
There are a few different types of garage door locks on the market, each with its own set of benefits. Here’s a look at some of the most popular options:
Deadbolts are one of the most common and effective types of garage door locks. They’re simple to install and can be added to almost any garage door. Deadbolts provide a high level of security, making it difficult for intruders to break in.
2. Slide bolts
Slide bolts are another type of garage door lock that can be added to almost any garage door. They’re easy to install and provide a decent level of security. However, they’re not as effective as deadbolts in preventing break-ins.
3. Keyed locks
Keyed locks are garage door locks that require a key to open. They’re more secure than slide bolts and deadbolts, but they can be more difficult to install.
4. Automatic garage door locks
Automatic garage door locks are becoming increasingly popular. They’re easy to install and provide a high level of security. Plus, they offer the convenience of not having to remember to lock your garage door every time you leave the house.
5. Wireless garage door locks
Wireless garage door locks are the newest type of garage door lock on the market. They’re easy to install and offer a high level of security. Plus, they allow you to control your garage door from anywhere using your smartphone or other devices.
Padlocks are the most basic type of garage door lock. They’re affordable and easy to install, but they’re not the most secure option.
7. Electronic locks:
Electronic locks are the most convenient and secure option. They can be controlled with your smartphone or a key fob, and they offer a variety of features, such as auto-locking and tamper alerts.
No matter which type of garage door lock you choose, it’s important to make sure it’s installed properly. If you’re not sure how to install a garage door lock, contact a professional garage door installer for help.
Garage Door Lock Replacement in Austin, Texas
If your garage door locks are damaged, it can be a major security issue. Replacing them is the best way to ensure that your garage is secure. Austin Car Keys Pros can replace your garage door locks quickly and easily. We will also make sure that your new locks are installed correctly and working properly.
We understand that garage door security is important to you and your family. That’s why we take our time to make sure that everything is done right. We want you to be able to relax and enjoy your home, knowing that your garage is secure.
Call us today at (512) 489-0996 to schedule a consultation. We’ll be happy to answer any questions you have and help you choose the best garage door locks for your home.
Why You Should Choose Austin Car Key Pros?
There are many reasons to choose Austin Car Key Pros for your garage door repair needs. We are a local company with a commitment to our customers and their satisfaction.
We have a team of experienced and certified technicians who are available 24/7 to get your garage door repairs done quickly and efficiently. We also offer 100% assurance on all of our work, so you can be sure that you’re making the best decision for your home or business.
Give us a call today at (512) 489-0996 to schedule a free consultation.
What Types of Services Does Austin Car Key Pros Provide?
If you live in the Austin, Texas area and need a garage door repair company, then look no further than Austin Car Key Pros. We provide a wide range of services to our customers, including:
-Replacing garage door locks
-Removing existing garage door locks
-Installing new garage door locks
-Repairing garage door locks
-Providing 24/7 emergency lockout service
Whether you need us to replace your garage door lock because it is broken or you want to install a new one for additional security, we can help.
We also offer a 24/7 emergency lockout service in case you accidentally lock yourself out of your garage. Simply give us a call and we will dispatch one of our certified technicians to your location as soon as possible. Call us at (512) 489-0996!
FAQs About Garage Door Lock Replacement
How much does it cost to replace a garage door lock?
The cost of replacing a garage door lock will vary depending on the type of lock you choose and the labor costs in your area. However, you can expect to spend anywhere from $50 to $200 on a new garage door lock.
How often should I replace my garage door lock?
It’s a good idea to replace your garage door lock every few years, or sooner if it starts to show signs of wear and tear.
Can I replace my garage door lock myself?
Yes, you can replace your garage door lock yourself. However, we recommend hiring a professional if you’re not familiar with the process. garage door repair.
I lost my garage door key. How can I get a new one?
If you’ve lost your garage door key, you can either have a new one made or purchase a replacement key from a local hardware store.
Should you use a garage door lock on an automatic garage door?
Yes, we recommend using a garage door lock on an automatic garage door for added security.
My garage door lock is jammed. What should I do?
If your garage door lock is jammed, you can try spraying it with WD-40 or another lubricant. If that doesn’t work, you may need to replace the lock.
Does a garage door need a lock?
While a garage door doesn’t technically need a lock, we recommend installing one for added security.
Can you rekey a garage door lock?
Yes, you can rekey a garage door lock. However, it’s usually easier and less expensive to simply replace the lock altogether.
What is the best garage door lock?
There are many different types of garage door locks on the market, so it’s hard to say which one is the best. However, we recommend choosing a garage door lock that is made of durable materials and has a good reputation.
I lost my garage door remote. How can I get a new one?
If you’ve lost your garage door remote, you can purchase a replacement remote from your garage door opener’s manufacturer or a local garage door retailer.
How do I know if my garage door lock is working properly?
To test your garage door lock, try locking and unlocking it several times. If it feels stiff or difficult to operate, it may need to be replaced.
You may be wond
ering when the best time is to replace your garage door lock.
Austin Car Key Pros can help you with that! We offer a wide variety of locks for your garage door, and we can also help remove the old ones if you need us to.
We know it can be difficult to know when it’s time for a replacement, but our team is here to help make the process as easy as possible for you. We want to ensure that your home is always safe and secure.